Boise Fire: Bandshell fire at Julia Davis Park was human caused

The Boise Fire Department said on its Twitter account the fire has significantly damaged the bandshell. (KBOI Staff Photo + Boise Fire)

BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) - Boise firefighters say a fire that broke out at the Gene Harris Bandshell at Julia Davis Park was human caused.

The fire was reported shortly after 8 p.m. When crews arrived they found fire burning up the exterior wall and into the attic of the building.

The bandshell, which was dedicated to the city in 1928, will be fenced off to the public for the foreseeable future, officials say.

“We are deeply saddened to see the damage done to this historic Boise landmark,” said Doug Holloway, Boise Parks and Recreation director. “We are hopeful the Gene Harris Bandshell can be restored so that we can continue to host community events and create lasting memories in Julia Davis Park for generations to come.”

The insured bandshell will be restored following a damage assessment.

Boise Fire first reported that the building had extensive damage and tweeted "the structure is unstable and will likely be a total loss."

After assessing the structure, Boise Fire tells KBOI 2 that the fire was not as extensive as they thought and are hopeful the structure will be able to be saved.

Boise Fire also had to battle the debris flying from the building and they asked that the public stay away from the area.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off