BOISE, Idaho (CBS2) — The first-ever confirmation of a death cap mushroom has been found in a Boise neighborhood.
The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare says the highly poisonous mushroom was found under an oak tree in an "established Boise neighborhood." Death cap mushrooms can kill pets and humans when ingested and cooking does not ward off its harmful effects.
"Death cap mushrooms are highly poisonous and cause most deadly mushroom poisonings worldwide," the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare said.
Officials recommend folks never eat wild mushrooms that have not been identified by an expert.
You can learn more about wild mushrooms in Idaho HERE.