St. Luke's plans $400 million upgrades for downtown Boise hospital
BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) -- St. Luke's is planning on upgrading its downtown digs -- to the tune of $400 million.
On Wednesday, the health system announced some significant expansion plans for its downtown hospital including a children's pavilion and an expanded main tower.
The hospital says by 2030 it will need an additional 680,000 square-feet at the downtown facility. Many of its services are already at capacity. The project will cost in the neighborhood of $300-$400 million.
"This is not a "single project" proposal, but a multi-generational development plan that will occur in phases over the next decades," the hospital says on its campus plan website.
Highlights of the Plan
- A new Children's Pavilion housing outpatient services will be built on the corner of Jefferson Street and Avenue B, and will connect directly to St. Luke's Children's Hospital by a sky bridge over Avenue B. The pavilion will be home to physician clinics and rehabilitation, as well as a healing arts and health resource center for children and families. It will also include an underground parking garage.
- The Children's Hospital itself will be expanded within the east wing of our current Boise hospital. This will affect all our inpatient services, such as our critical care unit, operating rooms, and pediatric unit.
- A new central plant, which provides essential utilities such as emergency power, medical gases, heating, and air conditioning, will be built at 2nd and Jefferson Streets, replacing our aging plant, currently located at 1st and Jefferson.
- Our current main hospital tower will be modernized and renovated, including critical care units, labor and delivery, emergency department, operating suites, and about 60 additional patient rooms.
- The hospital will be expanded to the north, allowing us to create integrated outpatient clinics and physician offices; that is, they will be located in close proximity to hospitalized patients, labs, and testing facilities. The design incorporates the most advanced technology and state-of-the-art equipment.
- St. Luke's MSTI, our cancer center, will be expanded into space vacated by children's services moving to the new Children's Pavilion.
- A new parking structure will be built between 1st and 2nd Streets, north of Jefferson. This structure, along with the underground garage at Jefferson and Avenue B, will accommodate the needs of patients, visitors, and staff, alleviating demand for on-street parking.