Elderly couple, three pets saved from burning Caldwell home

CALDWELL, Idaho (KBOI) -- An elderly couple and their three pets were saved from a burning house in Caldwell late Tuesday night. Caldwell Battalion Chief Tim Scott says the man has life-threatening injuries.

Caldwell and Middleton fire crews responded to the fire on Elm Street, around 11:40 p.m. When they got to the house, there were flames coming out of a front room and fire crews started attacking the fire, but then noticed a woman was inside.

"A lady appeared at the doorway and crews went into rescue mode," Caldwell Fire Battalion Chief, Tim Scott said.

He said they saved the woman, but when she got out, she alerted crews that her husband was still inside. Two firefighters raced back inside the burning home and found the elderly man unconscious on the living room floor. They say he inhaled a lot of smoke, and immediately gave him first aide after pulling him out of the house. An ambulance rushed the couple to a local hospital.

The couple's three dogs were also inside and were saved by crews. Firefighters gave oxygen to one of the small pets and a neighbor offered to house them.

"I sat on the curb for about an hour holding oxygen to little sophie," Denett Brinkman said. "They're doing good, they were up all night and unsure of to what was going on, but they're doing good this morning."

Firefighters also say the house is unlivable at this time.

"Damage to the house is pretty extensive," Battalion Chief Tim Scott said. "One full room (is) completely burned up, the rest of the house has smoke and heat damage."